I dream of a world where gun violence is not a constant presence.
- There are mentally ill people in every country but there are not mass shootings on a comparable scale in most other countries.
- There are mentally ill women in our country and yet most of the mass shootings are committed by male shooters.
- I agree that these murderers are sick but please let’s not conflate these two issues.
- Calling murderers “crazy” or “nuts” isn’t helping anyone. All it really does is: a. pretend that shootings are unusual and b. stigmatize mental illness more.
- Every time we add to the stigma of mental illness, we are contributing to the obstacles that prevent people from admitting they need help and actually seek help
- NATIONAL UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS NATIONAL UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS NATIONAL UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS.
- We need to spend some money on scientific studies. We need to apply this groundswell of concern to actually FUND some studies on guns, gun violence, and gun laws. PLEASE.
- Mental Illness is a real human problem that cannot be “solved” with laws.
- Gun violence is a real human problem that cannot be “solved” by blaming it on the mentally ill.
- The money the NRA uses to buy politicians and to lobby against legislation is a huge problem that we, the voters, can address directly. Let’s do that now.
UPDATES: (A) I posted this on Facebook a while back. Since it’s still getting “likes,” I thought I should post it here. Thanks for reading. (B) If you want to support mental health awareness, go to: www.nami.org